Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Plat de Resistance




            What is it about people and change? What is about people and the unknown? When really the unknown isn't all that “unknown.” The unknown is something more like we know, but we don’t like all the necessary steps between me and that. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I’m not totally callous to the issue. It isn't totally foreign to me merely because I’m the one on the other end advocating for that most dread of all things, change. No, please do not misunderstand. I’ve been on the “Forced to change” “Need to change” “I’m afraid of change” end of the stick myself. Yes, it’s true I do make a paycheck from resistance and it’s opposite; to some degree if it didn't exist then neither would I professionally. So, yes it is a bit of tangle for me; a “love/hate” sort of thing. But c’mon, it is the thorniest of thorns in my back side. If I could only somehow exist in alternate plain of reality where resistance was at least less resistant so when I encounter it I don't come off as bruised by the experience. Or if I somehow developed a neuromechanical device that I could implant in my limbic system allowing me to not feel the full of weight of resistance wrath then I would be much happier indeed.
            The long and short of it is, to really help I do have to allow some bruising of myself in order to help the other in their nastiest ways of being. For at the heart of resistance is fear and an absence of trust. Fear of being without protection, and absent in trust because change is facing the unknown. In order for the change to happen there must be a safety net of relationship in place. I have seen in my experience especially for the one trying to help, they must be willing to plumb the depths. Because the absent trust has thrust its victim deep, deep down into inner layers of self and isolation. Obstinately at this moment, as uncomfortable as a truth that this is, I am reminded of the protoevangelium- a ten cent term that refers to something further elaborated in Isaiah 53. THE Savior in order to save had to be hurt in the process. If I were smart, and took my cue from His example, I would realize this same principle applies to the everyday. All those “Little savings” require the bruising of the savior’s heel. I can’t help unless in my attempt to help I’ve allowed my heel to be bruised in the process. Then as the strongman C.S. Lewis described, can reach down into the depths carrying its prize with it to the sunlight.

3 comments:

  1. A true reflection, Dan. Just yesterday I was observing the other side of the coin: the pains of self-improvement. This complements my conclusions nicely.

    Was that a reference to Perelandra? One of my favorite things about Dr. Ransom's battle with the "un-man," revealed in That Hideous Strength, is that the heel never heals. At least, the wound continues to cause intermittent pain to the man who stands in the gap, as long as he remains in this world. Even so...

    (I am back in town, by the way, in case you wanted to know.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strongman reference I think was from Mere Christianity. The protoevangelium was in reference to Gen. 3:15 (which I'm sure you know well), and with some inspiration from Perelandra.

      Yay, your back! We'll have to hangout soon! I'm pretty busy this weekend, it being my 1 year anniversary and all. But maybe next week we can get together :)

      Delete

Popular Posts